AddThis

Share |

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Book Review: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

I can't believe that I hadn't already read the 7 Habits of Highly Effective  People by Stephen Covey. After being on my reading list for years, I finally got around to it and have to say it is by far the BEST personal growth and development book I have read ever. I plan on re-reading it a few times once I get a kindle and reflect on what Mr. Covey says. Here are some of my highlights from reading for just the first time:

-Mr. Covey says, "you think effectiveness with people and efficiency with people." I try my best to be efficient but have learned to be flexible and patient when dealing with other people. I don't move any faster when I am rushed and don't expect people to speed up because  I'm in a rush. 

-Sharpen the saw is another concept that's discussed in the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. This concept is about renewal and continuing to update your skills and knowledge. Although it's important to sharpen the saw, it's just as important to rest when needed. This can be just as important and rejuvenating.

-The Upward Spiral of Growth and Change. I loved this concept and that it was a positive spin on the downward spiral concept that we've all heard so much about. When you are connected to your purpose/goal/mission, you continue to grow and expand, this is an upward spiral. 

-The difference between values and principles. Mr. Covey says, "values govern people's behavior but principles govern the consequences of those actions." 

This book was so profound to me because it's more than just tips. It's about a lifestyle or a way of living that I think really lends itself to success. This book is about a practice. You have to continually check in and evaluate to make sure you're staying on track but if you are living consciously you should be doing this anyway. I highly highly suggest The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People .

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate every comment I get!