AddThis

Share |

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The School of Hard Knocks and Lessons Learned


I believe my last article was about overcoming obstacles. I’m still overcoming them. I’ve been MIA from the net for the past few weeks because my housing arrangement didn’t work out (again). I’m learning so many lessons that are related to overcoming obstacles. The primary lessons I am currently learning are:

Trust Yourself Above All Else-

Unfortunately the lady I was living with had some substance abuse problems and a tendency to lose things (that I wasn’t aware of before). She lost something and suspected me of stealing. I had to go. With no other options, I am currently in a NYC shelter awaiting the license I need to begin my new career. My original plan was to continue my work online, get my license for the new job, and save up to get my own place. It hasn’t worked out like this.

Trusting others is important but I have quickly learned that I have to trust and depend on myself more than anyone else, especially right now. Living in an NYC shelter isn’t so bad because I’m focused and it’s giving me the fresh start I need. It’s sad for me to admit that I trust people less since my housing fiascos over the past month but it’s true. That being said, I’m more vigilant about making sure my needs are met and never allowing myself to be put into this position again. That’s the blessing and gift from all this right now. I’m a champion and I’m going to live like a champion.

I contemplated whether or not I should write this post and decided to because I figured it would be helpful to someone else. Whatever you’re going through right now, keep going. Slow down if you have to but don’t stop.

Organization and Discipline are Necessary for Success-

I have so many meetings and appointments to manage in addition to what I’ve had to do to ensure I receive my license and get back to work as quickly as possible. I carry a folder with all the documents I need with me during the week. If you’re going through a stressful situation, disorganization can increase your stress. Make a daily to-do list and keep track of what you need to do to make sure you get everything done. Organization can also help you expedite the time it takes you to get to more peaceful times in your life.

FOCUS on Where You’re Going, Not Where You’re At-

In less than 8 weeks I’ll be back in Queens in a beautiful building. This is what I’m focusing on. Don’t let your obstacles make you forget what’s on the other side of your rainbow.

Well I hope this helps someone!

 

Kim

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate every comment I get!